Hacked! What do I do? XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Wylde
Forum Master
[Avatar]

Hacked!

How did this happen?

The only way another player can access your ourWorld account is if they have your Login Email and password*. Here are the most common ways your Login information can end up in somebody else’s control:
  • You have provided the information to another person (maybe in the game, maybe in real life, maybe through IM, chat, or Email.)
  • Somebody you have provided your info to has shared it with one or more other people.
  • Somebody with your Login Email address has managed to guess your password.
  • You have entered your Login information to a website designed to steal that information. (These sites usually make false promises in exchange for your info. This is known as phishing.)
  • Somebody with your Verified Email address either has or has guessed its password, and has access to it.

• *If your account is linked to Facebook, anyone with access to your Facebook account can also access your ourWorld account.

Somebody is on my account.

If somebody has your ourWorld password, but nothing else, all you need to do to secure your account is change your password. As it’s clear the ‘hacker’ knows your login Email, make sure your new password is something nobody could ever guess.

Players with your login information, but nothing else can do a lot of harm, but they they are limited. Until they change your Verified Email (see below) here are the limits:
  • They can’t deactivate your account.
  • They can’t change your password.
  • They can’t sell your items to the store or in the Marketplace.*
  • They can’t spend your Gems on Gifts.*

• *Limits on Gifts and Selling are based on IP address. If the account thief lives near you, it’s possible these safeguards will not work.

Important: Once a ‘hacker’ is in your account, they may try to change your Verified Email so they can gain complete control of it. Check your Verified Email inbox for Email change notices. You have two days to cancel a Verified Email change by clicking the ‘cancel’ link provided in the notice we send you. After two days, if you don’t cancel the change, the thief’s Email will replace yours and you will have completely lost control of your account.

I’m locked out of my account!

If somebody has changed your account’s password, that means the ‘hacker’ has either gained control of your Verified Email account (bad) or they have changed the Verified Email to something they control (worse.)

Your Verified Email hasn’t Changed

When you attempt to reset your password, check to see what Email the password change notice is going to. If it’s your Email address, that means the thief has access to it. Before changing your ourWorld password, you should immediately get into your Verifed Email account and change its password. Once you control your Verified Email account, you’ll also have full control of your ourWorld account as well. Once your Verified Email is secure, you can change your ourWorld password and regain control of your account. If you don’t secure your Email, the thief can (and probably will) just keep changing your password over and over again.

Your Verified Email has changed.

If, when you attempt to change your password, the notice is going to a strange Email address, that means the ‘hacker’ has truly taken over your account. You will need to contact ourWorld support (support@ourWorld.com) to recover your account. If you can send your request for help from your account’s Login Email or recent Verified Email, we can make the change easily. If you no longer have access to either of those accounts, we will require further evidence that we are dealing with the account’s true owner before we can make any changes. Send us the request and we will send you the details if necessary. If you cannot prove the account is yours, you may have lost it permanently.

All of my stuff is gone!

We have expanded our tools allowing Item, Gem, and Coin transactions to be tracked and, in some cases, undone. If you are an ourWorld Customer (i.e. you have purchased Gems or Membership for actual money) we will do what we can to recover lost items. Non-paying customers do NOT get this service. This sort of recovery is offered once per account only and only if the problem has occurred within the last 2 months (no asking for items stolen years ago, sorry.) We can't guarantee every Item, Gem, and Coin, will be replaced, but we will do what we can to repair a customer's damaged account.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 04/18/2012 14:26:09

Adam 'Wylde' Conus
    Customer Experience Manager
    ourWorld.com

Wylde says: Don't give your password to anyone for any reason, ever!
    [WWW]
    Rudolph
    ourWorld Veteran
    [Avatar]

Ty Wylde!

ok
    Prada

[Avatar]

Wow, that's great that you can't sell from a different IP.

not back fo' sure.
    Sophie
    ourWorld Translator
    [Avatar]

Prada wrote:Wow, that's great that you can't sell from a different IP.

ikr ._.

Why not? http://ask.fm/SophieOurWorld .
    Thank you Flye!_________________________Join uuus
    Verix
    Banned
    [Avatar]

But its not hard to change the email and send the new verification email to you. So you can sell from that IP.
    Wylde
    Forum Master
    [Avatar]

Guilty wrote:

ikr ._.

Again, once they Verify a new Email address, they can sell all they want. Also, some players have problems with the IP address security feature and we are forced to deactivate it.

Also, the thieves are free to BUY anything they want with the account. In one recent case the account thief used the Marketplace to sell a Temp Candy to the stolen account for 5 million coins, effectively stealing all the Coins in the account. That can happen the second somebody else gets on your account, and there's no way for you to stop it.

Edit: It was very easy to catch that player. He/She is no longer on ourWorld.

Don't share any login info with anyone for any reason, ever!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/13/2011 12:18:08

Adam 'Wylde' Conus
    ourWorld.com

[WWW]
    Verix
    Banned
    [Avatar]

Wylde wrote:Don't share any login info with anyone for any reason, ever!

Some cases it doesn't have to be that. Yes given most of the times it is from someone sharing their password and login. But some places have spy ware and other systems to watch what you type in. A link in someones signature on the forums awhile back would take you to a website that would let you login to ourWorld, but it had spy ware and the owner was able to take control of said persons account.
    Wylde
    Forum Master
    [Avatar]

Verix wrote:

But its not hard to change the email and send the new verification email to you. So you can sell from that IP.

Unless the account thief controls the Verified Email, it still takes two days and the rightful owner can stop the verification if they know to keep an eye on their Inbox. Not enough players know this, and we're adding a feature to help with this.

Adam 'Wylde' Conus
    ourWorld.com

[WWW]
    Wylde
    Forum Master
    [Avatar]

Verix wrote:
    Wylde wrote:Don't share any login info with anyone for any reason, ever!

Some cases it doesn't have to be that. Yes given most of the times it is from someone sharing their password and login. But some places have spy ware and other systems to watch what you type in. A link in someones signature on the forums awhile back would take you to a website that would let you login to ourWorld, but it had spy ware and the owner was able to take control of said persons account.

While I won't say that never happens, it's a tiny percentage of the problem. 90%+ of the players I catch stealing accounts have a history of requesting login info from other players inside ourWorld. Sharing passwords is the big problem, everything else pales in comparison.
    [WWW]
    Our End

[Avatar]

Thanks for the information, Wylde.
    But, i have a question there has been an idea suggested before if we can have password for our inventory,Account settings,etc. So if you have been hacked it would be harder for the hacker to sell your items At MP, Or change your verified email, Is it possible to be on ourWorld?

xD
    Verix
    Banned
    [Avatar]

Our End, Do you mean the "pin number idea"? Where our inventory has a pin number to wear, change, sell the time(s)?
    Wylde
    Forum Master
    [Avatar]

Our End wrote:Thanks for the information, Wylde.
    But, i have a question there has been an idea suggested before if we can have password for our inventory,Account settings,etc. So if you have been hacked it would be harder for the hacker to sell your items At MP, Or change your verified email, Is it possible to be on ourWorld?

If players are giving their info away, and most of them are, another level of password security seems pointless. Just keep your entire account secure, using basic precautions, and all these problems just vanish.

Adam 'Wylde' Conus
    ourWorld.com

[WWW]
    Our End

[Avatar]

Verix wrote:Our End, Do you mean the "pin number idea"? Where our inventory has a pin number to wear, change, sell the time(s)?

I don't remember exactly, But it was having a password for inventory and for selling items, etc. I think its what your saying.

xD
    SoulHuntress

[Avatar]

Okay; ( just saying )
    but like when i got banned from the forums my email address stopped working; and if i did get hacked i cant log into my hotmail account to change my password?
    (jussssssst sayinggg )
    Our End

[Avatar]

Wylde wrote:
    Our End wrote:Thanks for the information, Wylde.

If players are giving their info away, and most of them are, another level of password security seems pointless. Just keep your entire account secure, using basic precautions, and all these problems just vanish.

If you think most of them already doing this, why wont we have this idea?
    It would help people who have made this mistake.

xD
    Forum Index » General Discussion
    Go to:   
    Copyright Flowplay Inc. All rights reserved. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team